Teaching Your Dog To Listen: Advice On Creating A Successful Dog Training Program
Dog training is popularly used to make your life more pleasant with your pet. While certain dogs are trained for hunting or protection, others are just trained for their owner’s convenience. Dogs typically want little more than to please their owners. This characteristic ensures they will make a great companion and pet. The following article will allow you to learn how to properly train your dog.
- Feed your dog a healthy diet. It is entirely up to you to provide a good diet for your pet. Poor nutrition adversely affects your dog’s health and can cause uncharacteristic behavior. A proper diet can affect how well they react to training.
- Give your puppy some toys to chew on so they do not hurt while teething, keep other things they might want to chew on out of their reach! Immediately replace the object with one of the intended chew toys. A frozen washcloth is a great way to help your pup ease his teething pain.
- House training should be built around a regular bathroom schedule. In order to foster routine toilet habits, give your dog good food between 2 and 3 times daily on a firm schedule. This will help you figure out when the best time is to take your dog out and avoid accidents.
- Keep your tone of voice consistent when training dogs. This tone tells the dog that you mean business and that they need to obey. Additionally, it distances discipline commands from normal commands.
- You have to train your dog not to bark when you don’t want them to. Show the dog a treat as incentive, then repeat the command until they obey it. Then, you can give your pet the treat. If this is done with sufficient frequency, the dog is sure to associate treats with the command to be silent.
- You have to be consistent with your dog’s training. When everyone is participating in the training progress, you should be sure that each member of the family is applying the same rules and commands. When your dog only needs to understand a single set of directions, it is easier to learn and adopt the desired behaviors.
- Ensure you frequently put your dog in social environments at an early age. You need to show them what is acceptable when they are around people and their pets. Your dog will be better able to handle new situations.
- Do not quit when you are training your dog. You have to regularly enforce rules with your dog, so he won’t unlearn what you have made it learn. The learning process for dogs is a constant one; with reminders and reinforcements needed along the way.
- Is your dog getting all their required nutrients? Dogs can suffer from behavioral issues when their regular diet isn’t meeting their needs. Find out what type of nutrition your dog’s breed requires and adjust his diet accordingly; doing this will help your dog maintain his energy level. Ask for your vet’s advice in regards to proper dog nutrition.
- As you can see, dogs are trained for a variety of different reasons and applications. Dogs have an innate desire to please their owners which make them very enjoyable companions. Hopefully, the information contained here has provided you with some inspiration and ideas to help you train your adoring pet and friend.